Friday 14 February 2014

Alleyways, Switzerland and a Fiat (walk into a bar)

This morning I woke up around 9, having went to sleep around 7 (and I still had a hard time falling asleep). I guess waking up at 1600 yesterday (the latest I've ever slept in, ever) didn't help. I fell asleep wearing my short under armour shorts (short shorts, they're awesome, don't you even try to judge me) so I just put on a sweatshirt and sweatpants (I don't actually wear this in public) and went to work. I got there without any incidents (what was 2 inches of snow in SC yesterday is now about a foot in Montreal) but I did see 2 wrecked cars behind towing vehicles. Which made me slow down a bit more. Got to work, checked the schedule and voila, I only had to be in at 1500 (I always forget when I have to do in and I like afternoon naps so). Got back in the car and went home.

In the East end of Montreal (where I live), alleys are and were (mostly were) a hub for social interactions. Playing hockey (something ive pretty much never done in my life), soccer and all kinds of things are always going on there. So a residential block like mine is shaped like a boxed in capital I, with the normal streets being the box, you have two alleys at either end and one in between the houses that connects them. We have a two car parking behind our duplex (usually a non detached, 3 story; basement, 1st and 2nd floors, 2 unit affair). Since the parents are in Florida for a few days (they drove down) I left the car in the alleyway and desnowed the parking.

Canada is a bit like Switzerland, where every male (maybe females too, I'm not sure) over 18 and in good physical health must be part of the militia. We just don't get the cool Sig Sauer SG 550, or Stg 90 as they call it. All we get is what we buy at the store. It can be a simple plastic shovel or a snow blower, I've even seen one of our neighbors take out his atv and it had a snow blower in the front. You see, the Canadian militia is only active in winter and all we do is fight against mother nature's weapon of mass whiteness. Snow.

After doing my parking spot I sorta went around my mother's Fiat 500 (awesome car to drive, if you have an opportunity to do so, do so, it's like a go cart, and if you press sport mode, you're in for a treat) but only my younger sister uses it and I'm pretty sure she won't take it out unless she really needs to with the conditions we have these days. Then I took the snow out of my neighbors parking and called it. I had to come here and tell y'all about this. (Yay gender neutral vernacular!)

No comments:

Post a Comment